Obesity, namely the excessive accumulation of body fat.
Is the most common form of eating disorder in pet animals of the Western world. An estimated 24-30% of dogs and 19-40% of cats are overweight or obese, while strongly concerned that many obese pet owners do not realize the problem.
Obesity is usually the result of excessive calorie intake combined with a reduction of the exercise. Some dog breeds have an increased predisposition. Also, neutered and older animals are more likely to become obese, while some diseases, such as endocrinopathies, metabolic disorders or diseases of the musculoskeletal system, and taking certain medications can predispose or lead to it.
Obese animals are more likely to develop:
Problems in renal and hepatic function
Complications during general anesthesia
The simplest way to calculate the ideal body weight is the use of nutritional status index (Body Condition Scoring), which classifies the animal based on the image and the deposition of fat in the body.
How is it treated
If we suspect or if we find that our pet is overweight, you should first consult our vet. We will help us to rule out any medical problems and propose us a special diet and exercise program in order to reduce the weight to be properly done without endangering the health of our little friend.
10 Tips to obtain the ideal weight
1. Reduce gradually the amount of food. We start paying 10-20% less at each meal.
2. If you need to change it with another, more chamilothermidikes, it is becoming gradually to avoid digestive upsets.
3. We can add in the diet vegetables and fruits, such as raw or boiled carrots, raw cucumber or apple, boiled celery, broccoli or peas. These foods are delicious and rich in fiber. Avoid corn and citrus and remember that garlic, onions, grapes and raisins, rhubarb, avocado and raw potatoes are toxic to our animals.
4. We provide many, small meals. We can “fool” the hunger with fresh cool water. To increase the water intake, we can try different containers (metal, plastic, shallow, deep) to find Who prefers and the specific sintrivanaki (mainly cats).
5. Do not leave a plate full of food during the day. We offer food and leave it at his disposal for 15 to 30 minutes, supervised.
6. We do not offer snacks between meals. In education we replace the delicacies with vegetables or part of the daily amount of food.
7. We practice the animal systematically and steadily, gradually increasing the intensity and duration of exercise. There must be idle this week and thoroughly exercised weekend.
8. weighed every month to assess its progress. At home we can initially weighed ourselves, then holding embrace our animal and, finally, to calculate the difference.
9. The weight loss should be gradual, at a depth of at least 6-8 months. The rapid weight loss can have serious health effects.
10. To be successful, our effort should all family members to comply in respect of diet program and exercise.
Did you hungry?
It is very likely that ails us when we think our little friend is hungry, while we share the excitement and joy when the offer a snack. But we must not forget that by keeping our pet fit, the more secure and better-years of life.