Table of Content
Simple practical advice for people
Taking care of our feet requires the following care rules: Daily examination of feet.
Check the soles and the spaces between the toes every night for small wounds.
If we can not get our feet are the same, use a mirror or ask the help of a friend or our relative.
We are looking for:
– Changes to the usual color of the skin,
– Unusual swelling,
– Hot or cold spots,
– Areas with secretions,
– Wounds, cuts, blisters, scratches or cracks on your skin that are hot or humid and
– Blistering or fluid or blood under corns.
In our home nine (9) people a day lose their leg.
All rescue Clinical diabetic foot, based on four (4) parameters:
Suspected symptoms will lead us directly to the doctor are:
- If the skin is broken or if there is ulceration.
- If there are bubbles – bubbles in the foot.
- If there is a change in foot color (pale, red, blue, black)
- If the foot hurts.
- If there is “beauty” (the most insidious point we do not know what happens below).
- If the foot is very hot.
- If you have altered the shape of the foot.
- If no diabetes adjusted.
10 If the foot is swollen.
Precautions must be taken to avoid the problems of the “diabetic foot” as the ulcer.
- Care of the feet daily, with soft neutral soap (no antiseptics, no betadine or other) and good wiping especially between the toes.
- We use the dry skin emollient cream soles and heels, not between the toes.
- Daily “mirror Never put shoes without socks or without watching the inside of the shoes for any foreign body; no flip flops injuring the fingers.
- Never remove ourselves calluses. always turn to specialists (podiatrists – podiatry)
- Do not underestimate any complications – damage that may realize on our feet.
- Do not walk barefoot and without socks.
- Always wear soft shoes (especially for diabetics) and not heels height greater than 5cm.
- Not in garters to stockings with tight gaskets.
- Not walking in cold or very hot surfaces.
- If our feet are cold, wear socks at night.
- On the beach or sea wear beach shoes. Without shoes, feet are more vulnerable to injuries and infections. Be careful and summer on the beach, not only because it can push a glass, but also because the hot sand can cause burn our feet.
- We should avoid the use of objects (eg. Jewelery) legs.
- Do not wear new shoes at parties or events (The new shoes do not know and probably hurt our feet – ulcer “holiday or weekend”).
- Everything We wear loose shoes, so even if our feet swell, there is always enough space.
- Do not heat our feet in heater, fireplaces and generally heated surfaces.
- Cut the nails in a straight line with the skin. still prefer the simple cutting of the nail be done by qualified personnel.
- Do not use drugs that remove calluses.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking inhibits oxygen to get on our feet.
- If there is an injury, the wound should be covered with clean gauze to visit the doctor.
- If someone is suffering from ‘sugar’, to be examined by a specialist at least Diabetic Foot Clinic at least once a year.
In our country there are 16 government clinics Diabetic Foot. People are in hospitals, Annunciation, C. Genimatas Athens, A. Fleming, Polyclinic, Syngrou Attikon NIMTS, Tzanio, Papageorgiou Thiva, Chalkida, Venizelio Heraklion, Larissa, Alexandroupolis University and Kythira.
Remember: Exercise improves circulation and overall health. Activities such as walking, dancing, swimming and cycling to improve our overall health and therefore the collateral circulation in our legs. Before starting an exercise program in consultation with our family doctor make a check of the overall situation to make sure that we can cope.