Table of Content
- 1 The second article today, you read some helpful approach and reaction tips to have relatives, or people who care, people with Alzheimer’s.
The second article today, you read some helpful approach and reaction tips to have relatives, or people who care, people with Alzheimer’s.
What to do, how to react and to approach someone with Alzheimer’s? You’ll also read that one can go for any problem or issue any suspicion of a related person. Our Alzheimer covers all …
GENERAL ADVICE TO APPROACH THE PATIENT
It is important to ensure an environment of security, confidence and serenity to patients with dementia that we can reach out and communicate with them effectively.
In your communication with them prefer:
– Daily words, simple words
– Words used by themselves
– Small suggestions
– Net speech
– Talk slowly if necessary
– Maintain eye contact with them in order to keep longer the interest and attention
– Follow their posture and their tone of voice
– Allow them time to think and react
– Try to finish their sentence if they manage themselves, but not to interrupt them when there is not reason
– Avoid criticism
– Use non-verbal modes of communication:
– Physical contact, touch them gently when they addressed the reason
– Use music (preferably favorite songs) to contact them or to the calm
– Participate with him in his favorite activities
– Use MASSAGE
– Encourage the expression of emotion in various tropous- dancing, singing, painting, gardening, cooking
In cases where the patient is nervous tension and make sure:
– Do not disagree with him
– Relieve feeling having that time
– Do not try to convince him with rational arguments to change his mind
– When you are afraid try to make him feel comfortable. A calm voice and gentle handling of the hand can relieve
– Find what caused the negative reaction and try to avoid it in the future (eg routine change topic at a meeting with a person)
– Create an environment of trust and security
– Select constant and specific individuals to provide care
– Try to get the attention of a quiet activity
– Avoid noise and crowds
– Avoid tensions ahead of
These ways can contribute to the effective care of patients with dementia. But one of the most important components of effective provision of care is the care of ourselves.
When we take care of our needs the man who will take care benefited equally and perhaps more than us.
General advice for caregivers and family
– Take care of yourself and your health.
– Recognize your limits and do not attempt to do in a day more than you can.
– Accept help when it is offered to you.
– Collaborate with family and friends.
– Keep in mind your needs and desires.
– Give time for your own feelings.
– Be realistic about the progress and capabilities of your relative.
– Be realistic about the expectations you have of yourself as caregivers.
– Forgive yourself if things did not go well or if you made mistakes.
– Keep your humor and your courage.
The most important…
– Look for support.
– Ask for help before you feel exhausted.
– Use the help of experts and people who face the same situation as you, probably have more experience on the subject.
The Greek Association of Alzheimer Disease and Related Disorders (Alzheimer Hellas) was established on 10.29.1995 as a private law organization non profit. Its objectives are to create structures, services and conditions and their carers, to support research, promoting prevention and improving disease diagnostic measures.
Since the inception of the company until today, he is a member of the World and the European EtaireiasAlzheimer. As an active member of these institutions, participate in the annual World and European conferences, respectively, work and research presentations on the topic of dementia and every two years organizing the National Conference of Dementia.
Additionally there are two more similar Alzheimer Disease Units, of which the first is housed in KIFI (Aged Day Care Center) in Chariseio Thessaloniki Ano Touba in cooperation the Metropolis of Thessaloniki.
The Troubleshooting Units NosouAlzheimer aimed at people suffering from NosoAlzheimeri some other form of dementia and their families. In Alzheimer’s Disease units made daily treatment programs – interventions in patients with early dementia and mild cognitive impairment, as well as caregivers and their families. Inter alia, to patients with dementia and their families, the following services:
– Needs assessment, development and implementation of personalized care and rehabilitation plans for patients with dementia.
– Patients Education in social and personal skills, such as using the / Y.
– Therapeutic interventions at individual and group level, such as speech therapy and physiotherapy.
– Information and psychological support for carers and their families.
– Community awareness programs to fight stigma and prejudice associated with mental disorders.
– Management of behavioral and emotional (induced dementia) with non-pharmacological interventions.
Note that all services are free.
The company is also a group of houses, consisting of a doctor, psychologist, social worker and dentist that visits patients who are unable to move to the terminal stage of the disease.
It operates a 24-hour helpline, the telephone number 2310-909000 where the public can be addressed to get reliable answers to dementia issues.