Written by Dimitris Kakaletri obstetrician-gynecologist surgeon.
And after weeks of concern and anxiety about the outcome and course of health, it’s time to get prooraki at home! Like all parents, so you
You are concerned about how to respond to the needs for your special care and baby care.
But do not worry because with love, patience and good symergasia with the pediatrician will easily adjust to everyday life with your baby.
Useful tips on premature baby-Many hours of sleep. Premature babies tend to sleep longer hours than full-term, usually about 20 hours a day. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests healthy babies to sleep on their backs. It has been found that babies who sleep face down at greater risk of sudden death infant syndrome. Sleep in the supine position does not increase the risk of presence of other problems (eg, choking, leveling head or poor sleep).
However, premature infants with specific health problems (such as breathing problems) may need to sleep on their side.
– Good to have the baby in your bedroom, in bed or in the pram, but not in your bed.
– It is very important to maintain constant ambient temperature around 20-22 degrees Celsius and avoid drafts in the room is the baby.
– A baby monitor will help you reassure your fears the times when the baby is sleeping and you’re not in the room or later, when we have transferred to his bedroom.
– If the pediatrician thinks that there is a risk of apnea per hour of sleep (ie where the baby stops breathing for short periods) you can purchase a special detector that will alert you when this happens.
– For some babies may be necessary to administer oxygen or apply other home treatment. You and anyone else involved in baby care before you get home. It is also good to know how to do CPR on your baby.
Whether you are breastfeeding or giving milk powder, your premature baby should regularly takes his meals, usually every 2-3 hours,
he can not eat large amounts. Each meal is necessary for this will have to wake up at night, until it reaches the desired weight. Usually, in premature infants, either breastfeeding or taking milk powder, a supplement with vitamins and iron given. To control the diet and increase in weight, the pediatrician may advise you to hire a scale for babies, in which you weigh every week your baby to record the increase in weight. It is a process that follow many parents not only premature and full-term babies, the first few months, especially if the baby is fed exclusively with breast milk and can not be sure of the quantity gets.
“I can breastfeed?”
Usually babies born before the 35th week have not yet developed the suckling reflex and their digestive system is immature enough to be able to deal large amounts of liquid food. For this reason many premature babies need to be fed with small amounts of milk (ideally, milk) in a very regular basis. But soon they get used to larger meals and stronger as they will be able to learn to breastfeed. To keep milk production, but you will need to remove your milk with a breast pump and give it to your baby by bottle or freeze.
The daily care
Generally, the daily care of a premature baby is no different than that of a full-term. You will change, will make the bath, will the talking, I’ll pat … All this, observing some simple hygiene like wash well with soap your hands before care and change clothes when you turn home from outside. What you will probably need to avoid are the visits to your home or your own walks out until it reaches your baby to the desired weight and a little stronger immune system. It is also good to have a baby with you as many hours, since experts agree that the close contact with the mother strengthens the body and helps it grow faster. You have a baby with you in a sling, or simple cuddling to listen to your heart rate and your smell.
Regular contact with your pediatrician is considered particularly important for the health of your baby. Make sure you discuss with any of your concerns regarding your baby.
Contact your pediatrician if:
- The premature baby does not get any weight weekly weigh
- If it is dull, does not react when awake, do not cry
- If it rains less than five diapers a day
- If you dent his chest every time breathing
Finally, treat your baby, just like you were having a full-term baby. Parents of babies born prematurely tend to see their children very fragile. Usually too careful (worried that their baby warms or cools too, that does not eat much or not sleeping enough), is too lenient (baby always makes its own) do not set limits and “boss” is more Baby despite parents. Finally, they are too attached to it (mothers of premature babies often have difficulty to part with). Such an atmosphere can interfere with normal growth and proper formation of their personality.